As an amateur cook, what easy recipe can I learn that will impress people?
Greek Meatballs (or giouvarlakia). They are really easy to make and taste really good. They don't use many ingredients either, try it out!
Recipie: (the way i make them)
Put 500g minced meat, 1/4 cup rice (not boiled)
- Put 500g minced meat, 1/4 cup rice (not boiled) and an egg into a large bowl, knead the mixture with your hands. Leave the mixture to rest in the fridge for 15 minutes. Form the meatballs and set them aside.
- Pour 2 ½ cups of water into a large pan and 1 chicken stock and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down and gently add the meatballs in the water, put the lid back on and cook for 20-25 minutes.
- To prepare the sauce , crack 2 eggs into a bowl and whisk. Add about 2 juice of lemons and 1 tbsp flour and whisk well.
- Pour the egg lemon sauce into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes over medium heat, until warm but not boiling.
- Serve with the sauce!
I will suggest an easy dhal recipe.
Moong dhal ( Split Green gram dhal) -1 cup
Tomatoes- 2 nos
Onion- 2 nos
Green chili- 2 nos
Turmeric powder-1/2 teaspoon
Cilantro for garnishing.
Garlic cloves- 6–7 nos
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 tablespoon
Cinnamon-1/2 inch 2 nos
In a pressure cooker add moong dhal along with water,salt,2 teaspoon oil,minced garlic,turmeric powder and steam cook till the lentil is 3/4 Th cooked.Now allow it to cool and remove the cooker lid and add chopped raw onion,chopped raw tomatoes,slit green chilies and close the lid and cook for two whistles. In a pan heat oil and add the cinnamon sticks till it turns dark in colour.Now remove the cooker lid and add the seasoning. Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve.
Curried Chicken Salad
Mix yogurt with grapes or raisins, curry powder, and a dash of salt. (If you have any walnuts, toss in 1/4 cup.) Chop the lettuce, and place into each of 4 bowls. Combine the chicken with the yogurt mixture, and spoon on top of the beds of lettuce.
Chicken katsu curry burger (it is not easy but you can learn it for good impression)
- In a bowl, combine the ingredients for the brine with 1 tsp salt. Put the chicken in the brine, cover with cling film and marinate in the fridge for at least 3 hrs.
- To make the mayo, combine all the ingredients and stir until smooth.
- Half an hour before cooking, remove the chicken from the fridge. Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk with 2 tbsp of the brine. Mix the rice flour and panko, and spread out in a layer on a plate. Remove one chicken breast from the brine, shake off the excess, dip into the egg mix, then coat in the panko mix. Transfer to a plate and repeat with the other chicken breast.
- Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer or large, heavy-bottomed saucepan until it reaches 180C, or a piece of bread browns in 30 secs. Fry for 10-12 mins until cooked through. Drain on kitchen paper, then slice each breast into 4-5 pieces.
- Split and toast the buns, then spread with the mayo. Add a layer of lettuce, spring onions and radishes, then top with the chicken and more mayo.
Impressing your audience is in the details. It doesn't matter how simple of sophisticated the dish you prepare is, as long as it looks and tastes great, and all the sides and garnishes look and taste great.
For example, if you do tacos, try grilling the marinated bistec de pollo (thin cut chicken breast cut so it folds open to a long 1/4″ strip that cooks quickly and evenly, already trimmed and seasoned and very easy to work with) from a latin market, and grilling it, chopping fresh onion and cilantro, have a variety of sauces, and most importantly lots of guacamole. For bonus points choice of handmade corn or flour tortillas, horchata to drink, or best of all, grilled pineapple glazed in honey and brown sugar on the side.
Your mouth should be watering by now. Like I said, the impression is in the details.
I made this drink on a summer evening, and my family was left astonished! I had a nice time annoying them, without sharing my 'secret' recipe for long! ;) It is very easy to prepare. Try it out if you like it.
Raisins - 120grams
fennel seeds - 2 tablespoons
white sugar candy - 4 tablespoons
Water - 250ml(to soak)+ 250ml(to add)
After soaking raisins in 250ml water for 4 hours, drain excess water and blend them in a blender to make it a paste.
Strain the paste in a thin cloth and keep the liquid aside. Now blend fennel seeds and sugar candy to a fine dry powder. Add this powder to the liquid and mix it well.
Serve it with ice cubes to enjoy it as a refreshing summer drink!