Do software engineers get enough family time?As with many jobs, there's lots of reasons why people might work long hours:
- because the job demands it and its part of their contract
- because they are pressured to do so by management
- because they are compensated or incentivised to do so
- because they feel insecure and a need to prove themselves
- because they want to "be the hero" for their team/boss
- because they have a "workaholic" type personality
- because they hugely enjoy what they do
- because it gives them an excuse not to go home
I've seen all of these at play at some point in my career, with software engineers and other professionals.
I've also seen people - including software engineers - maintain an excellent work/home balance and be highly productive.
This depends on your job and it deadlines. It is not uncommon for software engineers to spend hours working at the cost of family time. It isn't healthy but it is the part of the job especially if there is 24/7 support.
Why not? Its like any other job. Although it is a tendency at early stages of the software engineering career, people tend to put in long hours. It doesn't mean they have to always carry on with the same even when they have more responsibilities towards the family.