Does fasting/intermittent fasting help depression or anxiety?
I am a chronic depression sufferer that recently tried fasting for 4 days.
( Update ) Here is an update on how fasting has been helping me: 5 WAYS FASTING FOR DEPRESSION HAS HELPED MY MENTAL HEALTH
I have to say the results changed my life.
I have a blog article I posted today where I go over why and how I did the 4 day fast. I journaled every day to keep track of what was going on.
- I have struggled with depression my entire life.
- I have PTSD from the war which makes my depression extremely aggressive.
- I had little to no interest in food so I struggled to keep myself fed.
- When I did eat I was a dissociative eater.
- I had a constant mental fog.
- I was constantly hungry.
- I could and would sleep for days.
During my 4 day fast.
- Within 2 days I had mental clarity like I have never felt before.
- My brain felt like it had been turned on for the first time.
- Colored seemed more vivid. Sort of similar to the feeling being hopped up on adrenaline when in combat but much more subtle and not so crazy.
- My sense of smell heightened.
- I felt a new sense of motivation.
- I started thinking about food in a completely different way.
- My body's muscle knots started to loosen up.
- I felt less stress
After my 4 day fast I switched to intermittent fasting and I only eat after 4 pm.
- All the effects of the fast are still there.
- I am no longer hangry
- Food tastes great again and I look forward to feeding myself.
- I have been able to rebound from stress in ways I have never been able to do.
- I am no longer controlled by food or the lack of it.
I am sure there are more but these are just what came to me first. I wouldn't have believed to it if I hadn't tried it for myself.