How to be very lean and very strong and muscular
To get very lean, very strong and very muscular you have to be very disciplined.
Also patient, consistent and tenacious.
Diet: Getting lean requires close attention to what you eat. You should be in a slight caloric deficit in order to reduce body fat.
- Eat lots of vegies and whole foods like fruit, lean protein, healthy fats and modest amounts of starchy carbs like oats and rice.
- Carbs should be consumed mainly around your workouts and limited at other times.
- Drink lots of water - between 0.5 and 1 ounce per pound of body weight every day.
- Avoid added sugar, trans fats and overly-processed or prepackaged foods.
- Get plenty of protein. Strive for between 1 and 1.5 grams per pound of body weight (on the higher side while cutting)
- Fats should be between 15 and 25 % of total calories.
- Fill in the rest with carbs, primarily the non-starchy vegie variety. Lots of greens.
- Don't rely on supplements to help you. Quality whey protein powder is good post-workout. After that, get your nutrition from real food. Supplements are a waste of money.
Workout: To get strong you need to frequently lift heavy things. You don't necessarily need to join a gym to do this, but it helps.
- Find and follow a program that emphasizes the major compound lifts - squats, deadlifts, presses and pulls.
- Start with learning the movement patterns before adding weights. Know how to do a full-depth air squat with proper form before trying back squats with a bar. Always learn the movement pattern before adding resistance.
- A good program for strength follows a progressive overload strategy. You should be doing 3 - 5 sets with the heaviest weight you can manage doing 3 - 6 good reps without failure. You'll add weight each week in the beginning.
- NEVER train to failure. You'll miss enough naturally without making this a goal, and you should always strive to have one or two more reps in you before calling it a day.
A good beginning strength program that you follow consistently will make you strong and help you develop some quality muscle. If you decide to enhance your muscularity further, you're going to start implementing more hypertrophy in your programming. Start with the basics and develop from there.