What are the biggest leadership challenges that executives of growing early stage start-ups in any industry face?A few of the biggest leadership challenges faced by start up execs are:
1. Simplify market info and ideas into focused deliverables
- be open with info but ruthless in prioritization. be decisive, keep them focused so the team can execute quickly.
2. Plan the execution of those priorities properly.
- don't be sloppy with the execution of the priorities - do them in the right order and . what gets done before what matters a lot.
3. Hire before you need people, but not too much.
- always hire self starters, they return your time. the other types suck your time.
4. Invest in onboarding new people.
- spend time on detailed walk throughs of company goals / methods and culture. And them challenge them to contribute.
5. Preserve the "one company" mindset as you get bigger.
- ensure goals & culture are set company wide and priorities and info is shared at the whole company level weekly to avoid "departmentalization syndrome".
6. Keep "market" information close to decision makers.
- decision makers cannot afford to become clueless bureaucrats by becoming two steps away from customers, problems and market opportunities.