What should I keep in mind when visiting Cairo?
Cairo is the capital of Egypt and it has population around 20 millions. So keep in mind:
- You might get stucked in traffic in some places.
- Don't drink from the tap. It's highly chlorinated. (I drink from the tap water everyday but my body is used to it)
- Always carry water bottles to keep you hydrated. ( temperatures can be up to 40C in summer)
- Keep in mind that the metro can be crowded at peak hours. (especially the first line)
- Always check prices carefully and bargain with everyone!
- Use Uber or Careem for transportation. (They are ways better than Taxis)
- It's okay to try local food. You will love it! but not in very cheap restaurants as they aren't so clean.
- keep in mind to take pictures to yourself kissing the Sphinx.
- People love toursits and you will notice that every moment. But keep in mind to be friendly with them.
- It's expected that you will hear the calls for prayers 5 times a day.
I'm Egyptian and I've been living here since the day I was born. I love Cairo and I hope you will love it as well. Enjoy your trip!
There is a lot of traffic so plan accordingly.