Why do Kerala tourism ads say, God's Own 'Country,' when Kerala is just another 'state' in India?India is a vast country stretching from the mighty Himalayas to the tropical greenery of Kerala offering plethora of different experiences.Each state has its own unique experiences to offer and uses different phrases and taglines to attract the attention of potential travelers. Kerala tourism department is doing a wonderful job in showcasing the unique experiences Kerala offers in the world market by their world class marketing. Kerala tourism department uses the tagline God's own country to showcase itself in world market.
Here are the few things I can think of that makes Kerala better than "Just another state"
In a nutshell Kerala can be summarized as
- One of the most beautiful Backwaters in the world
- Land of Ayurvedha/Spices
- Plethora of Beautiful Sunny Beaches spread across the state
- Rich cultural heritages/festivals/ Experiences
- Unique culinary experiences.
Kerala is one of the most beautiful places worth visiting in India.
1.Natural Beauty and unique geographical positioning - Kerala is gifted with natural beauty and greenery has Arabain Sea on one side and Wester Ghats on the other side, providing different wonderful experiences such as Hill stations,Beaches,Backwaters,Wild life,Waterfalls with all most all the experiences geographically closer to each other. This helps a traveler to roam around from one experience to another easily and enjoy all these experiences in a short span of time (say 4-5 Days). This gives a unique advantage to Kerala unlike many other Tourist destinations which offers only a single theme. To get better idea of this you can consider the below most famous tourist circuit of Kerala
Cochin Inernational Airport –> Cherai Beach (1 hour) -> Munnar Hill Station (5 Hour) -> Thekkady Wild life (4 Hour) -> Alleppy/Kumarakom Backwaters (4 hours) (Travel time from previous destination to current destination in bracket)
Many such Tourist circuits exists in south Kerala, North Kerala connecting the international airports in those areas
2. Moderate Climate round the year making in an all year destination for international as well as domestic travelers . Every season is Kerala is offering its own unique experience to the travelers be it Monsoons, Winter or Summer. You just need to know what to expect in each season and pick your most suited season for heading to Kerala. For knowing more details on "Best time to Visit Kerala" you can read Sreejith Puthenparambil Chandran's answer to Vacations: What is the best time to visit Kerala, India?
3. Well connected by Sea and Air with three international airports and one Sea Port falling in international ship route. Proximity to Bangalore the silicon valley of India.
4. Kerala offers the most authentic AyurVedha Experience and can be called the land of Ayurvedha.A lot of Domestic as well as International travelers are heading to Kerala for having the first hand experience of Ayurvedic rejuvenation treatments and massages .
5. Easy to communicate in English. Thanks to the high literacy rate most f the people in Kerala will can speak and understand basic English making it much easier for international travelers to roam around, communicate and blend in. Coupled with tourism friendly and welcoming people and support from local authorities makes the travelers comfortable.
6. Well developed Tourism infrastructure and world class marketing from Kerala Tourism Department - There are plenty of mature professional players in all areas of the tourism sector (Accommodation, Tour Operators, Activities) , providing exceptional service with international standards which opens up a large world of different options, making travelers feel like spoiled with choices. This also prompts them to come back next time for another set of new experiences which they have missed this time. The Kerala Tourism department does a pretty good job in marketing Kerala tourism through various innovative ways and a strong social media presence.
7. Best value for money experience - High USD to INR conversion rate makes Kerala a very affordable Value for money destination for International travelers
8. Land of Spices – right from earlier centuries Kerala has marked its presence in the global spice market for its rich flavored spices. In Kerala you can visit Spice plantations and get a first hand experience of everything in the world of spices. Spice tourism is gaining momentum in Kerala
9. Rich cultural traditions and colorful festivals- Different festivals spread throughout the year (Thrissur Pooram, Boat Races, Theyyams ,Onam). Any time you visit Kerala, most likely there will be at least one local festival you can experience.
10. Unique Local Cuisines – . If you visit Kerala, the southern most state of India you will have a unique culinary experience, thanks to its wide variety of spices. Kerala, often called the "Land of Spices," was one of the major spice shipping hubs for the globe as early as 3000 B.C. and is still a major grower and exporter of spices and foods to this day. Kerala breakfast has been listed in top 5 favourite breakfasts around the world by Travel+ Leisure.
Wake Up and Smell the . . .You can read more about Kerala Local Cuisines here
Experience Kerala Holiday Planners' answer to What is one dish you cannot afford to miss when you visit Kerala?
11. Last but most important World class Experiences Kerala offers, be it BackWaters or Sunny Beaches or Hill Stations. Kerala was named top 5 family destinations in the world by Lonely Planet in 2014
Best family travel destinations for 2014 - Lonely Planet